Script continuously fails when creating config DB

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Hi all,

I am tearing my hair out trying to get this script to work. I have used autospinstaller many times before and never had an issue.

The script will not create the config db. I have tried with 2 fresh installs and with both local and separate SQL instances, however I still get the following issue.

 - Checking farm membership for PRJANG-MSAPP01 in "SP2010_Config"...

 - Attempting to join farm on "SP2010_Config"... - No existing farm found. - Creating config database "SP2010_Config"...New-SPConfigurationDatabase : velpth\ang-svc-spfarmAt C:\SP2010\AutoSPInstaller\AutoSPInstallerFunctions.ps1:807 char:31+             New-SPConfigurationDatabase <<<<  -DatabaseName "$configDB" -DatabaseServer "$DBServer" -AdministrationContentDatabaseName "$CentralAdminContentDB" -Passphrase $SecPhrase -FarmCredentials $farmCredential    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (Microsoft.Share...urationDatabase:    SPCmdletNewSPConfigurationDatabase) [New-SPConfigurationDatabase], Win32Ex    ception    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell.SPCmdletNewSPCon    figurationDatabase -------------------------------------------------------------- - Script aborted! - Error creating new farm configuration database

 

Please help!

Cheers,

Jon.

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Can you show us your Database configurations from the xml file?

Also, I found out that posting the errorlog with the "</>" function above doesn't destroy line-endings, which makes it all a bit more easy for us discussion-board users to read :)

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Edited Jan 13, 2012 at 10:39 PM

This will typically happen if the patches/services packs/Cumulative updates or language packs are mismatching between the current server and existing farm or a mismatched product key.

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:20 PM

In order to discover what the issue, really, is (and as long as this issue is typically for a new server joining an existing farm), run the SharePoint Confg wizard, specify the Database (or Alias), passphrase and try to Join the farm. I'd expect this to fail as well, but there's a link to a beautiful log file that can tell you why the issue is happening. In the only occasion I had this error, it turned out that the config.xml on the new server doesn't have the same PID as the farm. The solution is to fix the config.xml, uninstall SharePoint binaries and uninstall any language packs and then rerun the script to re-install SharePoint with the correct Product ID.

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:00 AM
My issue was on a clean single server install. SQL was 2008 R2 but not SP3 (only non-SP1 for the media). Ran PSConfig and it said SQL was not a compatible version. Connected to SSMS and looked at my SQL version number, sure enough, R2 RTM version. Upgrading to SP3 for SQL 2008 R2. Should fix the prob. Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Service Pack 3 from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44271

OS: Windows Server 2008 R2 with latest updates
SQL: RTM SQL 2008 R2 (Needed SP3)
SP: 2013 Enterprise
Topology: Single server dev box using least privileges
Feb 24, 2015 at 6:25 AM
Edited Feb 24, 2015 at 6:25 AM
Issue turned out to be the config. 1. I didn't have localhost, <DBServer>localhost</DBServer>
  1. DB alias was set to true, but not configured. <DBAlias Create="false"
I turned off the alias and removed any junk in SQL Config manager for 64-bit aliases.
        <Database>
            <!-- If you are creating an alias (recommended!), <DBServer> is actually the value of the SQL alias; otherwise it's the NetBIOS name of the SQL server or instance. 
                 If you leave <DBServer> blank or specify localhost, script will assume the local server for SQL databases -->
            <DBServer>LOCALHOST</DBServer>
            <!-- The script can create a SQL alias for you. Enter the DBInstance, and if you leave <DBPort> blank, script will assume default port value of 1433 -->
            <DBAlias Create="FALSE"
                     DBInstance=""
                     DBPort="" />
            <!-- The DBPrefix is prepended to all database names. e.g. If you set this to TEST, your config DB will be TEST_ConfigDB.
                 If you set the prefix to localhost, script will prepend each database with the name of the server on which the script is run. 
                 Leave this blank for no prefix.
                 NOTE: If you are installing a multi-server farm, it is recommended that you do not use localhost as services provisioned on different servers
                       will have different prefixes.
            -->
            <DBPrefix>SP2013</DBPrefix>
            <!-- The name of the farm configuration database -->
            <ConfigDB>Config</ConfigDB>
        </Database>