AutoInstaller with Multi-tenancy?

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Has anyone made the appropriate modifications to use this script in a multi tenant environment?

Specifically, is there a version of this script that supports partitioned service applications? i.e. the -partitionmode switch, which specifies that the service application restrict data by subscription.

Any help or even just a push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Edited Jan 12, 2012 at 10:13 PM

The only script that I know of is at Harbar's, SharePoint MCM/MCA, Blog site at with very little documentation on the site home page itself. The 6/7-part article is the most useful on the topic as well at

Disclaimer: I have never tried this script.

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Thanks for the quick response, we've actually been using the Harbar post as a guide, but I think your script is a bit more robust. If you ever change your mind and decide to implement this, I'd be happy to test for you. 

Thanks again, 

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I have been working on some custom scripts to do this.  I haven't had tome to finish this, we will have to see if I can incorporate it in Brian's script.

May 9, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I downloaded the latest version and there are switches some of the service applications for partitioning, which I believe is for multi-tenancy.  However, I am also following Harbar's posts.  I have gotten to the point where I use SPAutoInstaller to build the farm, but I am not having it create the service applications that need to be partitioned.  I then take Harbar's scripts and have them build the partitioned service applications.  I am stuck on User Profile though, it won't start.  I am now going to run the SPAutoInstaller script again, and this time have it install the User Profile service, with the partitioned swtich set to TRUE and see if it actually configures it the way Harbar's script does.

May 9, 2012 at 11:37 PM

When you create the partitioned UPA, you'll need to either use the farm account as the logged in account for your PowerShell session or eventually you'll have to fix the SyncDB Schema. Also make sure that the User Profile Service Application proxy is also partitioned and not only the Service Application in addition. Obviously Farm account needs to be local admin on the Server running UP Sync ServiceInstance and Timer Service would be restarted after the Farm admin is local admin.