Question about xml config files for multi node farm setup

Oct 26, 2011 at 4:20 AM

I've got the script working great in a lab environment - the script is awesome!

I have a question about using the script to setup subsequent machines in the farm.
(I am building a farm with 2x app role and 2x WFE role) 

I read that I can specify which machines to install different services to install on by using the Provision attribute.

An example of that would be the word automation service - the first parameter is "Provision=True"

But what about other settings that don't have a provision tag?

For example the <Managed Accounts> area - this should only need to be setup once - and would be taken care of with the build of the first Sharepoint box.
So for adding the other nodes am I ok to leave that section in place, or should I pull it out?
Same goes for the <WebApplications> section - just leave it there, or pull it out for Machines 2-4?

Looking through the config, I think those were the main two sections I was unclear on.

- Jack

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:05 AM

Hi Jack,

The <Managed Accounts> section isn't a good example because during setup, the script reads values from that section. So, you still need to specify it but the accounts won't be "re-managed." Similarly for <WebApplication> tags and other tags, if they already exist, the script will detect and skip that part.

My advice is to take the XML from the first server, edit the appropriate sections (essentially switch some Provision flags) and use it for the second and subsequent servers. Don't remove any tags, just change the True/False parameters.

Nov 3, 2011 at 7:33 AM

As far as I can tell, the web-applications are recognized if they have already been created on a different node. It's actually not important on which node they are created, as long as they are created.

If an already existing web-application (or managed account or whatever) is detected, the actual provisioning is skipped.

The provision attribute just controls on which server what instances are being startet, which is quite an important distinction of web and application servers.

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Thanks @wahidsaleemi and @eiben - that's exactly right. Jack keep in mind that this stuff is not really script-specific; e.g. ou'd find the same thing if you manually created a farm and created a web app "on one server" - it would immediately be propagated throughout the farm on all WFE servers. Same with managed accounts and other farm-wide config details.