Crawl not working

Oct 24, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I have installed SharePoint 2010 with the autoSPInstaller on a farm with one front-end/application server and one database server. Everything works fine according to the script and everything looks good until I try to start a full crawl. The I get error in the crawl log and in the windows application log. This is the application log:

"
Component: 9071a66c-ec7b-4b66-9d2d-69a39c82fe43-crawl-0
Details:
    Access is denied.   0x80070005Propagation for search application 9071a66c-ec7b-4b66-9d2d-69a39c82fe43-crawl-0: failed to communicate with query server 9071a66c-ec7b-4b66-9d2d-69a39c82fe43-query-0.
"

It seems to be a permission problem somewhere but I can't find out where, can anyone help?

NOTE: If I delete the search service application manually and create it manually with the same properties as in the script it works perfectly. So what is the difference between the manual step and the script?
One more thing is that it works perfect on a stand-alone server installation.

Oct 25, 2011 at 6:22 AM

Found the problem myself..

Permission for the crawl account was missing from the index location.

Coordinator
Oct 25, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Perfect, I was going to recommend checking that. Also I noticed that sometimes the crawl account password doesn't get applied to the search service for some reason - random failure it seems.

Brian

Oct 26, 2011 at 7:49 AM

A question related to Crawl;

When changing the folder where the index will be stored at, which user should be given the rights on that folder so it can write the index? Is it the search user, the crawl user or perhaps someone else?

Oct 26, 2011 at 8:10 AM

The permission(read/write) should be set for the "WSS_WPG" group which contains the crawl user.

Oct 26, 2011 at 9:04 PM

I have seen the missing crawl password once. The installation was done to D: drive on that one.

Jan 21, 2015 at 4:25 PM
Old thread, but maybe someone else has run into this problem. I thought the permissions to the index location were set properly, but the crawl was still not working. What I finally discovered was the SHARE permissions were missing on the index location share. NTFS permissions were set, but the share permissions did not have WSS_WPG with modify permissions as required. Once I fixed this the crawl completed immediately.