Errors while installing on a new machine using default settings

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:11 PM
Edited Oct 19, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Greetings,

I'm using your script to setup the initial farm on one box. When running the script I get as far as the warning displayed below and then it stops. I'm not quite sure what could have gone wrong, seeing I used only different accounts and passwords for the dedicated domain accounts (which validate at the start).

The error, as shown in the log transcript:

--------------------------------------------------------------
- Creating web applications... 
- Creating Web App "PortalHome"New-SPWebApplication : Some or all identity references could not be translated.At D:\Install\SP2010_AutoSPInstaller\AutoSPInstaller\AutoSPInstallerFunctions.ps1:1540 char:27+                New-SPWebApplication <<<<  -Name $WebAppName -ApplicationPoolAccount $account -ApplicationPool $AppPool -DatabaseName $database -HostHeader $HostHeader -Url $url -Port $port -SecureSocketsLayer:$UseSSL | Out-Null    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (Microsoft.Share...PWebApplication:    SPCmdletNewSPWebApplication) [New-SPWebApplication], IdentityNotMappedExce    ption    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell.SPCmdletNewSPWeb    Application
 --------------------------------------------------------------
Script aborted!
 - Failed to create web application

The section it's erring on:

<WebApplication type="Portal"
 name="Portal Home"
 applicationPool="PortalHome"
 applicationPoolAccount="contoso\uSys-SP10-AppPl-Prtl"
 url="http://A30-0380"
 port="80"
 databaseName="PortalHome_Content"
 useClaims="false"
 useBasicAuthentication="false"
 useOnlineWebPartCatalog="false">
 ...
 ...
</WebApplication>

Could it be it doesn't like the Account name starting with the "domain\" in front?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Oct 19, 2011 at 2:50 PM

You'd rather post full XML. till then my guess is that the applicationPoolAccount hasn't been registered as one of the managed accounts.

Oct 19, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Solved.

The systemaccount usernames that were used exceeded 20 characters. It seems there was a mixup when creating them resulting in 2 different usernames, on the domain. I used the "wrong" one when registering them in the managed account section. This has been rectified after the installation. Will need to go back to the drawingboard to make sure the usernames are within those character limitations and still reflect what they are used for.

Example; For the App Pool account above there was the following information in our AD present:

User in current domain level: uSys-SP10-AppPl-Portal (= <useraccount 20+ characters>)
pre-win2000: uSys-SP10-AppPl-Port (= <useraccount chopped at 20 characters>) 

Coordinator
Oct 25, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Nice... a common gotcha when creating usernames and then needing to specify them in the form DOMAIN\username - not stricly speaking AutoSPInstaller-related though.

Cheers
Brian