Can't slipstream SP1 AND CU when using languagepacks

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:42 AM

As I have written in another thread, it is not possible to slipstream both SP1 and CU's if you are using any language packs.

It is not really an error on any part, but maybe the front page should be updated ;-)
Maybe a note in the installationfolder?
And it is just to update everyone one the correct procedure.

• Install SharePoint Server RTM + SP1 Slipstreamed + install SharePoint Server Language Packs + Server LP SP1 Slipstreamed (AutoSPInstaller will do this!)
  • Install August CU Server Package
  • Run PSConfig

Sep 7, 2011 at 3:03 PM

I don't think that's entirely correct. If we take Jie's suggestion "slipstream LP SP1 into language pack installation files (extract and put all files in updates folder)" a step further, it appears we can actually slipstream the extracted language-specific CU updates to the xx-xx\Updates\ folder too.

Just grab the language-specific files (e.g. de-de) from the folder containing the extracted CU, and copy those into the \LanguagePacks\de-de\Updates folder (where the extracted LP SP1 files should already reside). This should give us full slipstreaming of SharePoint, Language Packs, SP1, LP SP1, and CUs.

And based on the Check product and patch installation status page in Central Admin, the CU does appear to get applied to the Language Pack(s) in this manner.

Sep 6, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Are these instructions still valid with AutoSPInstaller v3.0.3?

I'm having some random issues with slipstreaming everything with version 3.0.3: SP1, LP + SP1, Aug 2012 CU. I haven't tried Brian's previously suggested method of manually putting selected language files from the CU in the LP/Updates catalog. I will do that soon.

Sep 8, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Hi Jesper,

I can definitively say that installing SharePoint plus several language packs as well as SP1 und August 2012 CU works perfectly with AutoSPInstaller. You just have to put the files in the correct places. Just like you would include SP1 und CU into the update folder of sharePoint, you have to do the very same for every Language pack that you install. Each LP also contains a folder called updates where you need to place all appropriate updates as well as the whole extracted CU files. If you need more detailled instructions let me know.

Sep 18, 2012 at 2:42 AM

I'll be publishing a new CodePlex project soon that will handle all the slipstreaming tasks such as downloading the right files, extracting them to the right places, etc. It should be live in a few days...!

Interestingly though I've had problems with the August 2012 CU myself - have not been able to successfully apply it, either by slipstreaming or manually after the fact.