Custom installation directory

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Is it possible to use a non-default installation directory for SharePoint and its components using AutoSPInstaller?

I have looked in the XML configuration files but are unable to find the option to change the install dir. Maybe I missed it?

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:15 PM

This is configured in the config.xml in your SharePoint installation folder. Here's the reference: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc261668.aspx#QuickRef

In my experience, this is a bad idea (at least in 2007) where Microsoft didn't always take this into account for updates and things. With virtualized machines (and drives) and SANs, alternate installation directories don't really make sense.

Coordinator
Aug 10, 2011 at 3:35 PM

@wahidsaleemi is correct (once again)... It's possible to move some of the stuff around, but my understanding is that some stuff will always get installed to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14 (aka the 14 hive or SharePoint root). I suppose if you changed the value of the %COMMONPROGRAMFILES% system environment variable you could get this to be installed to another volume, but I find most organizations/clients I deal with don't really have a valid reason for moving this, other than some vague 'policy' or just trying to be clever and customize for its own sake.

Moving log file directories is another story, and I agree in theory with the reasoning there. But moving program and system files to another volume is asking for trouble. Also there's always some bad SharePoint add-on software package that will be hard-coded to look for C:\Program Files... and will cause you headaches :|

Having said that, I haven't hard-coded any paths like C:\... in AutoSPInstaller but used environment variables and relative paths wherever possible - in case you do decide to move install directories around.

Brian