Error creating central administration application- New-SPcentraladministration:absolute path information is required

Jul 22, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Hi I am using the Auto SP Installer script to perform SP2010 installation. Prerequisties, Sp2010 binaries and creating admin database activities completed successfully. When provisiong the Central admin i am getting the following error,

New-SPCentralAdministration : Absolute path information is required.

I am using the port 10001 for CA, and i have moved inetpub to F:\Internet location. Plese help me to resolve the issue.

Jul 25, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Hi All,

I figured out the issue. The issue is, before running the Autospinstaller.bat file, i have installed IIS7.5 and moved the default inetpub location to F:\Internet using the scripts provided @ http://blogs.iis.net/thomad/archive/2008/02/10/moving-the-iis7-inetpub-directory-to-a-different-drive.aspx.  I am not sure, if the script did not work correctly or Autospinstaller does not support the custom path of inetpub,so  i am getting the above error when creating the central admin. I have rebuild this VM and ran the autospinstaller with out moving  the inetpub to different location. The Autospinstaller worked perfectly.

Can some one answer me

1. Do Auto Spinstalelr do not support moving the inetpub location? What should i change in Autospinstaller to work, even if i change the inetpub location?

2. Can i move the Inetpub location after completing the SP2010 installation?

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:52 PM

1. You should be able to use AutoSPInstaller even if the inetpub is in a different location. The error you're getting i usually due to permissions problem on the new folder (F:\Internet). The account used to run AutoSP needs to be able to read/write to that location. Its a common error as well if the destination folder does not exist. You'd get the same error if you didn't use a script, and used the GUI instead.

2. I believe you can move Inetpub locations afterwards as well, as long as you do it properly (stop SharePoint services, IIS, move it and then reboot).

Jul 26, 2011 at 11:25 PM

Thanks  Wahid for your reply.  Can you please tell me what type of permissions are required on this folder. This is what i have done.

1. I have rebuild the OS on the machine. Installed IIS and moved the Inetpub folder to F:\Internet location.

2. Deleted c:\inetpub folder

3. Gave the Setup account the full control (ownership) for F:\internet folder and also added the farm account with full permissions to this folder.

4. Ran the Autospinstaller with setup account, but the script failing, saying Absilute path information is required.

Please help me, where i am going wrong.

Jul 28, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Update -

Autospinstaller works irrespective of the path for Inetpub. But it fails, if the Folder of Inetpub is renamed to another location. In my case i have moved inetpub to F:\Internet. How to fix this? This is important for my company as this is the standard path for inetpub. Excpet this, the autspinstaller works perfectly.

Rajesh

Coordinator
Jul 29, 2011 at 3:01 AM

I suspect the system is still looking at C:\Inetpub for something. There is nothing hard-coded in AutoSPInstaller that looks in C:\Inetpub so not sure what's failing, sorry. Maybe the PreRequisiteInstaller.exe puts some stuff in C:\Inetpub even after you've moved to F:?

Brian

Jul 31, 2011 at 4:42 AM

Hi Rajesh,

I have moved C:\inetpub to a different drive on my installation and have no issues... AutoSPInstaller is not related to the issue you are having... The way I move Inetpub is by running the IISMove script just after the prerequesites have installed. If you are using the script in from the blog you have refered to uneditted then there are 2 significant errors in the script on lines 56 and 57.

REM Make sure Service Pack and Hotfix Installers know where the IIS root directories are
reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\inetstp /v PathWWWRoot /t REG_SZ /d %mOVETO%\inetpub\wwwroot /f
reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\inetstp /v PathFTPRoot /t REG_SZ /d %MOVETO%\inetpub\ftproot /f

should be...

REM Make sure Service Pack and Hotfix Installers know where the IIS root directories are
reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\inetstp /v PathWWWRoot /t REG_SZ /d %mOVETO%inetpub\wwwroot /f
reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\inetstp /v PathFTPRoot /t REG_SZ /d %MOVETO%inetpub\ftproot /f

The error means that IIS on your server is pointing at the following incorrect paths...

F:\\inetpub\wwwroot
F:\\inetpub\ftproot

I hope this resolves your issue!

Aug 4, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Thanks myatix for pointing me to the script changes. Moving to F:\intepub also worked for me. Actually the reason i am getting the above issue is, iam using a different folder name that is F:\internet instead of F:\inetpub. Hence the problem as F:\Internet is our firm standard. We changed this standard now for  Auto SP Installer to work.