Search Server Express??

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:11 PM

It's my understanding that creating a Search Server Express server will install SharePoint Foundation 2010 -- will such an installation have the same issues/weaknesses as a standard SPF 2010 installation that this application fixes??

Can I install SPF 2010 with this app *then* install SSE 2010??

Thank you, Tom

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:15 PM

yes Tom,

I have done this quite a few times.  The best trick is to install foundation with the script and flip all of the service creations off until you install search express.

On things to remember, you will get an error when it tried to configure Secure Store Service if you do not run one of the newer CU.

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Thank you...would you please clarify a few things??

1) flip off service creations -- is this done during installation with the script?? It's 2 years since I installed SharePoint and I am learning again from scratch....

2) Secure Store Service -- is this a SharePoint thing?? How would I know if I have a newer CU??

Any good guidance websites to which you could refer me would be great.

Thank you, Tom

Jul 6, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Sorry,

I am not using the correct terminology.

1)  In the file AutoSPInstallerInput.xml (which you need to read about and rename).   Any of the services that say Provision="true" set them to Provision="false", this will avoid having them try to configure before you are ready. 

2)  Service Pack 1 is now out so just download that.  For the record, you will need to get both files. The foundation servicepack will be used when you do the initial install. You can read about slipstreaming in these forums if you would like to incorporate it in your install.  You will also need the server edition service pack after you install Search Express since that is technically a server component.  You will need to install the Server Service Pack before you try to configure Secure Store Service, or it will not work.  Here is a link to the page that has all the downloads. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/ff800847

Rick

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Thank you for taking time to do the extra explaining.

Much clearer now.

Thank you, Tom

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Not a problem!

With this tool you can install services you can not get to with the UI.... Kind of cool!

Dec 6, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Hello,

I am revisiting this topic after being away from it for a long time and being a complete newbie to SP 2010.

Re-reading the above and reading other materials suggests to me I should do the following:

1) Install SPF 2010 with the various 'provision' items set to false in the autospinstaller script.

2) Immediately install SSE 2010 with all default settings.

3) RE-run the autospinstaller script?? with the 'provision' items now set to true?? -- or do something different at this point??

Thank you, Tom