User Profile Synchronisation Service runs as farmservice account??

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:21 AM

Base on http://www.harbar.net/articles/sp2010ups2.aspx , I understand that the installer installs the User Profile Service as the farm account .  From the article it also mentions  "The Synchronization Connection Account must have Replicating Directory Changes on the Domain you are syncing with."

At the end of the installation when i looked at the User Profile Service managed account it is changed to the farm service account instead of another account that would have the Replicating Directory Changes permission.

Is this correct?

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:06 PM

I would like to know this as well as I am having trouble setting up the User Profile Service.

Thanks

schuess

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:17 AM

There's two different accounts here. The first one is the UPS service account, which is the farm account and should not be registered as a managed account (but can be). This account runs the User Profile Service.

The second account, which Spence refers to, the "Synchronization Connection Account" is an entirely different account and must have the Replicating Directory Changes. This is the account that is used when you setup profile import. This script doesn't make use of that account or setup profile import for you.