SharePoint 2010 SP1 OWA SP1

Jul 1, 2011 at 7:14 AM

Hi,

Anyone tried the script with SharePoint 2010 SP1 and OWA SP1 ?

1- I extracted SharePoint Foundation SP1 and copied to Update folder

2- I extracted SharePoint Server SP1 and copied to the update folder.  what really surprised me here is SharePoint Server SP1 file overrides ALL the files of SharePoint Foundation SP1 , does it mean that the installation of SP Foundation SP1 is not required ? .... in Microsoft web site they say it is !!!.

3- I extracted the OWA SP1 and copied the files to C:\SP2010\OfficeWebApps\Updates .

I am planing to run the script tomorrow, any body did this already so he may give me his feedback and notice ?!

Some usefull links:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2510766

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2532126

http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/blog/Pages/BlogPost.aspx?pID=984

Coordinator
Jul 6, 2011 at 4:52 AM

I noticed the same thing too; when slipstreaming, it's impossible to "install" the Foundation updates before the Server updates, since they all get overwritten anyhow in the \Updates\ folder.

I was told this is no big deal though (from a recent Twitter conversation) - the guidance to install the Foundation SP or CU prior to installing the full Server SP or CU only applies to manual (non-slipstreamed) installations (where each update package is applied individually), apparently.

I've done several test runs now through the latest slipstreamed updates (SP1 + June 2011 CU) and as far as the install goes, seems to be OK.

Brian

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:19 AM

Thanks Brian,

me too i did the test, i followed the Todd Post : http://toddklindt.com/blog/Lists/Photos/Forms/DispForm.aspx?ID=67

It is worked fine for me !

Abdul.

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Just tried this script with pretty much all options (OWA, PDF iFilter, Language Pack, SP1 and June CU). Worked great for me! Only thing is, I didn't know how to slipstream the language pack SP1 files so I installed them after.

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:07 PM

I too have just tried an SP1 & June CU slipstreamed install with OWA, etc enabled, but mine failed. The binaries and updates appear to install OK, but the script aborts when "Attempting to join farm on "SP01_ConfigDB". The exception details are:

"Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: This SharePoint farm currently has pending upgrades.  The cmdlet Mount-SPConfigurationDatabase cannot be executed until the upgrade is completed."

I've tried rebooting and starting the script again, but it fails at the same point.

Any suggestions on how to get past this?

Cheers,

S.

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Run the SharePoint Products and Technology wizard and try it again.

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:47 AM
Edited Jul 8, 2011 at 9:53 AM
wahidsaleemi wrote:

Run the SharePoint Products and Technology wizard and try it again.

The script didn't get as far as creating a configdb, so the wizard can't find anything to update.

However, I gave this a go, not really expecting it do do much, for the reasons above:

psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -force

But it seems to have cleared the error. I've resarted the script and it's now creating a new ConfigDB...

Oct 12, 2011 at 6:56 AM
simonjohnbell wrote:

However, I gave this a go, not really expecting it do do much, for the reasons above:

psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -force

Using Version 2.5.5 of the AutoInstaller with SP1 and August CU + OWA with SP1 and can confirm this happened to me too.

Your fix seemed to clear the error and after re-running the script it's installing as expected. Thanks.

May 9, 2012 at 6:28 PM
Edited May 9, 2012 at 10:51 PM

I had to remove the -force command as the SP Shell said it was invalid.  The command did get me past the error.  Has anyone tried adding this to a custom function to override the CreateOrJoinFarm function?

Write-Host -ForegroundColor White " - Attempting to join farm on `"$ConfigDB`"..."
psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
$connectFarm = Connect-SPConfigurationDatabase -DatabaseName "$configDB" -Passphrase $SecPhrase -DatabaseServer "$DBServer" -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

Jul 31, 2012 at 6:10 AM
Toadmyster wrote:

I had to remove the -force command as the SP Shell said it was invalid.  The command did get me past the error.  Has anyone tried adding this to a custom function to override the CreateOrJoinFarm function?

Yes. I have.  I put this in the AutoSPInstallerFunctionsCustom.ps1 file and it seems to go through okay now.

Cheers,

James.

#Region Create or Join Farm
# ===================================================================================
# Func: CreateOrJoinFarm
# Desc: Check if the farm is created
# ===================================================================================
Function CreateOrJoinFarm([xml]$xmlinput, $SecPhrase, $farmCredential)
{
    WriteLine
    $ConfigDB = $DBPrefix+$xmlinput.Configuration.Farm.Database.ConfigDB

# Look for an existing farm and join the farm if not already joined, or create a new farm
    Try
    {
     Write-Host -ForegroundColor White " - Checking farm membership for $env:COMPUTERNAME in `"$ConfigDB`"..."
     $SPFarm = Get-SPFarm | Where-Object {$_.Name -eq $ConfigDB} -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
    }
    Catch {""}
    If ($SPFarm -eq $null)
    {
  $DBServer = $xmlinput.Configuration.Farm.Database.DBServer
  $CentralAdminContentDB = $DBPrefix+$xmlinput.Configuration.Farm.CentralAdmin.Database

Write-Host -ForegroundColor White " - Running any required upgrades..."
  Start-Process "$env:CommonProgramFiles\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\BIN\PSCONFIG.exe" -ArgumentList "-cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait" -WindowStyle Minimized
        Show-Progress -Process psconfig -Color Cyan -Interval 5

Write-Host -ForegroundColor White " - Attempting to join farm on `"$ConfigDB`"..."
  $connectFarm = Connect-SPConfigurationDatabase -DatabaseName "$ConfigDB" -Passphrase $SecPhrase -DatabaseServer "$DBServer" -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
  If (-not $?)
  {
   Write-Host -ForegroundColor White " - No existing farm found.`n - Creating config database `"$ConfigDB`"..."
   # Waiting a few seconds seems to help with the Connect-SPConfigurationDatabase barging in on the New-SPConfigurationDatabase command; not sure why...
   Start-Sleep 5
   New-SPConfigurationDatabase -DatabaseName "$ConfigDB" -DatabaseServer "$DBServer" -AdministrationContentDatabaseName "$CentralAdminContentDB" -Passphrase $SecPhrase -FarmCredentials $farmCredential
   If (-not $?) {Throw " - Error creating new farm configuration database"}
   Else {$FarmMessage = " - Done creating configuration database for farm."}
  }
  Else
  {
   $FarmMessage = " - Done joining farm."
   [bool]$script:FarmExists = $true

}
    }
    Else
    {
        [bool]$script:FarmExists = $true
  $FarmMessage = " - $env:COMPUTERNAME is already joined to farm on `"$ConfigDB`"."
    }

Write-Host -ForegroundColor White $FarmMessage
 WriteLine
}
#EndRegion

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Based on JBoman32768 response I was able to slightly modify with the check if the upgrade is needed before the Join happens as below and avoide the path to PSConfig:

If (CheckIfUpgradeNeeded -eq $true)
  {
   Write-Host -ForegroundColor White " - Running any required upgrades..."
   Start-Process -FilePath $PSConfig -ArgumentList "-cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait" -NoNewWindow -Wait -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | Out-Null
   Show-Progress -Process psconfig -Color Cyan -Interval 5
  }

This has worked well for me. I am using the V3 version.

Coordinator
Aug 2, 2012 at 4:00 AM

Hey guys, check out the latest changeset - there was a fix to the psconfig stuff a few releases ago.

HTH,
Brian