Couple of things with latest version

Jun 22, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Hi Brian,

Love the project.  It's taught me a lot about the backend workings of SharePoint and saved me time deploying SharePoint.

I downloaded the latest release (2.5) and had to make a few small adjustments:

In the CreateWebApp function in AutoSPInstallerFunctions.ps1, you create a variable called $SiteCollectionName (line 1500 for me).  You then use the $SiteColName variable in the New-SPSite cmdlet for both name and description.  So no name or description gets set.  Not a big deal, easy fix.

The other issue was in the CreateSecureStoreServiceApp function in the AutoSPInstallerFunctions.ps1.  I was installing on Windows 7 64bit and received an error in the Update-SPSecureStoreMasterKey.  I researched it and found a couple of blogs mentioning issues with the master key creation but that it was very random.  They suggested using a short sleep timer.  I ended up using Start-Sleep 5 after the get proxy and the update cmdlets.  Worked like a charm.

On a side note, I'd like to volunteer some time to help with this project if needed.  I can help with PowerShell, XML, testing...

Thanks again for your hard work on this project.

Regards,

Mike

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Hi Mike,

Does the Performance Point DB rename work for you? Have you tried it on a named instance of an SQL server?

I am having issues with this and was wondering if anyone has expereinced the same issue?

http://autospinstaller.codeplex.com/discussions/262183

Just thought I would ask... Hope you don't mind! :)

 

Coordinator
Jun 23, 2011 at 4:53 AM

@Slackster, good catch, I must have forgotten to rename all instances of the $SiteCollectionName variable. I've also implemented the sleep timers where you've suggested, hopefully that'll resolve that nagging issue...

Thanks for volunteering! For now, feel free to upload any patches via the Source Code tab of the project for evaluation.

Cheers
Brian

Jun 23, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Hi Slackster,

When you say:

"I ended up using Start-Sleep 5 after the get proxy and the update cmdlets."

Do you mean like this (code snippet from the "#Region Create Secure Store Service Application" of my modified AutoSPInstallerFunctions.ps1 file):

  

$secureStore = Get-SPServiceApplicationProxy | Where {$_.GetType().Equals([Microsoft.Office.SecureStoreService.Server.SecureStoreServiceApplicationProxy])} 
			Start-Sleep 5
			Write-Host -ForegroundColor White " - Creating the Master Key..."
 			Update-SPSecureStoreMasterKey -ServiceApplicationProxy $secureStore.Id -Passphrase "$FarmPassPhrase"
			Start-Sleep 5
			Write-Host -ForegroundColor White " - Creating the Application Key..."
			Update-SPSecureStoreApplicationServerKey -ServiceApplicationProxy $secureStore.Id -Passphrase "$FarmPassPhrase" -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
			Start-Sleep 5
			If (!$?)
			{
				# Try again...
				Write-Host -ForegroundColor White " - Creating the Application Key (2nd attempt)..."
				Update-SPSecureStoreApplicationServerKey -ServiceApplicationProxy $secureStore.Id -Passphrase "$FarmPassPhrase"
				Start-Sleep 5
			}
		}

Despite adding the pauses, I still get the "Update-SPSecureStoreMasterKey : The request channel timed out.." error when the script attempts to create the master key.

Cheers,
S.
Jun 24, 2011 at 4:58 AM

@simonjohnbell, yea something along those lines.  This was the first time I ran into this issue but again I was installing on a Windows 7 OS in a VM with only 4 GB of memory.  :P

You could increase the sleep from 5 to 10 or even 20.  If you were really adventurous you could try modifying the WCF timeout value as described here:  http://blogs.architectingconnectedsystems.com/blogs/cjg/archive/2010/03/17/WCF-Timeouts-on-small-memory_2700_d-SharePoint-2010-machine.aspx.

...or you could just go provision in CA where it will probably work fine.

Jun 27, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Hi Slackster,

I was still hitting problems provisioning the Secure Store stuff with "start-sleep 5" but increasing it to "start-sleep 20" sorted it out and the script ran successfully, (I'm also testing in a Win 7 VM environment).

Thanks for the tip,

Cheers,

S.

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:16 PM
We had problems with the master key not creating. Although our VMs were particularly low spec. We upped the wait to 60 and gave the VMs 4 cores and 16GB memory and also implemented the 2nd attempt (as per timium http://autospinstaller.codeplex.com/discussions/261615). It still went into the second try before it was successful.

This was a remote farm install on 4 servers from a 5th non SharePoint server for 2010. Using code from commit 98112.