SharePoint AutoSPInstaller Bug... Error in upgrade...

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:36 AM
Edited Jun 20, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Great script by the way...

I have now run the AutoSPInstaller version 2.5 and the previous version and keep getting the same issue on my virtual test environments. It appears that if you install SharePoint in a slipstreamed version (April CU package), with a Language Pack and Office Web Apps the farm gets stuck in the middle of an upgrade, this is particularly apparent when you try to add a second server into the farm.

It appears that this case is most common when the script can't run psconfig itself but prompts to use the "SharePoint 2010 Product Configuration wizard" while trying to configure the language packs. Very occasionally the upgrade is completed without issues but 50/70% of the time there is an upgrade error on 1 if not several servers in the farm. If you then try to run a psconfig -cmd V2v or b2b force upgrade SharePoint is unable to upgrade. This therefore leads to a reinstall... :(

If I look in the ULS logs then I can see an error stating:

"Exception: Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPUpdateConcurencyException: An update conflict has occured and you must re try this action"

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

My initial guess is it is because some timer job doesn't have time to finish???

It would be nice if the script checked for a successful upgrade before continuing...

Would really appreciate some help on this one... :)

Aug 5, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Hey there, from my understanding of the TechNet article on installing Language packs (link below) is that one only needs to run the psconfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace v2v in a rare situation, when one is upgrading from 2007 to 2010 (isn't that what the v2v switch is meant for - upgrade from previous versions of SharePoint).  So I would guess running the SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard would be all that is needed.