Multi farm Multi-tier farm installation

Jun 3, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Please help, I like the script and makes life easier.  I managed to create a number of different farms but I don't how to add WFE or App server to an existing farm.  Please help

mjksgea

Coordinator
Jun 3, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Not sure what you're looking for - you would just run the script again on your second, third, fourth etc. servers but with specific things turned on or off, depending on the role. The script will determine if it should create a new farm or add the server to an existing farm (assuming you are using the same database names etc.)

Brian

Jun 6, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Hi Brian

Thanks for the quick response. I changed <DBPrefix> value to blank and for <ConfigDB> kept the same Database the same name as the farm DB and it worked.  the new server joined the existing farm.

what a great script, thank you

mjksgea

Coordinator
Jun 10, 2011 at 2:06 AM

Cheers,

Brian

Jun 29, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Hello,

In my case i have two database and two web servers, what the specific things which i need to turn it off\on on the first web server and on the second one ?

Many thanks .

Jun 29, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Another question: what is the best way to install farm of 4 servers (2 DBs, 2 WFEs) ? what i did is the following:

1- i Installed SharePoint on the first WFE using Autospinstaller

2- on the second wfe i installed sharepoint manually and i ran the configuration wizard, and chosed to connect to an existing farm .

as result i faced the following issue:

1- if i dont add the application pool accounts (SP_Farm, SP_PoolApp, SP_PoolApp_Mysite) to the local adminstration group of the wfe, then i will get " An unexpected error occured"!

2- when i try to open http:\\secondserver , then i get the IIS 7 default page .

what the mistake i did  ? and what is the best way to install SharePoint on Two Web servers using this script ? .... 

many thanks . 

Jun 29, 2011 at 9:44 PM

aalabed

The setting I changed are in the xml file.  On the second server that you wish to join a farm make setting <DBPrefix> value to blank and <ConfigDB> setting give the same DBconfig name, thats all you need to do.  Once the installations finishes open SharePoint PowerShell and run "get-spfarm | select servers" command.  This will list The first server, the DB server and the newly joined server.

Are you using 2 DBs as a cluster SQL server?

I would do the following

Cluster 2 DB servers

1 App server (SP services)

1 WFE server (index, crawl partition)

off course, The above might not be the best solution to your requirements but it all depends!

The issues 

1. If you run the script with the correct configuration and managed account it should be fine.

2. you wold need to put the port number, you will find it in the xml file http://secondserver:2010

Good luck

mjksgea

Jun 30, 2011 at 3:14 AM

Hi Mjksqea,

Thank you for your replay.

yes you are right DB is clustered , i have two wfe because i need failover solution, the index serivce will have two partitions .

Let me please list you the steps which i am going to follow and please correct me if any is wrong:

1- Rename the xmlfile to AutoSPInstallerInput-SPWFE01.xml and AutoSPInstallerInput-SPWFE01.xml (AutoSPInstallerInput-SERVERNAME.xml)

2- In AutoSPInstallerInput-SPWFE01.xml:

a-      Update all the service accounts and password (the same as default just I changed the naming as per my convention)

b-      Change the database name to the name of my DB cluster

c-       Change the <DBPrefix> to “SP_ProdFarm”

d-      I enable all the services included office web apps

e-      Shall I change http://localhost to http://SPWFE01 everywhere in the XML file ?

f-        Shall I create DB alias (e.g. SPSQLAlias) ? or leave it without alias ?

3- In AutoSPInstallerInput-SPWFE02.xml:

a-      Same configuration as AutoSPInstallerInput-SPWFE01.xml

b-      Make <DBPrefix> value BLANK

c-       Shall I change http://localhost to http://SPWFE02 everywhere in the XML file ?

d-     Shall i remove the part from <WebApplications>...</WebApplications>?

e-     Shall i change CentralAdmin Provision to "false"

f-      Shall i change all the services provion to false ?

4- build the windows NLB 

If you want i can send you both files (AutoSPInstallerInput-SPWFE01.xml and AutoSPInstallerInput-SPWFE01.xml) to your email address, my email is : son_of_life@hotmail.com

Many thanks and best regards. 

Jun 30, 2011 at 10:53 AM

aalabed

Glad to help

The steps looks fine to me. I would leave the localhost as is, don't change.  On the second server central admin provision set to False.

most important is to have some test (VMs) so you can test all sort of combinations.  The script is great work, you will need to test as much as you can.

Your failover plan.  I would have the WFEs servers looking the same and the NLB would take care of failover situations (obviously it depends on hardware).

Let me know if I can of further help.

Jul 1, 2011 at 6:19 AM

Thanks a lot for your help, one more question: shall i remove the <WebApplications>...</WebApplications> from xml file of the second wfe?   and what about the services ? on wfe1 i made all the services provion = true ... , on the second one shall i leave it true too ? or better false  ?

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:24 AM

You can leave the <WebApplications> tags in there. The script will detect that there is already a Web App and Site Collection and just skip that part.

For your services, I would leave them to true. This way, they'll be load balanced by SharePoint.

Jul 19, 2011 at 9:20 PM
aalabed wrote:

Thanks a lot for your help, one more question: shall i remove the <WebApplications>...</WebApplications> from xml file of the second wfe?   and what about the services ? on wfe1 i made all the services provion = true ... , on the second one shall i leave it true too ? or better false  ?

I am trying to install on 2 WFE that will be load balanced using hardware load balancer. Looking for succinct instructions on how to run the script successfully on 2 WFEs.
Please, please, offer instructions.

Jul 22, 2011 at 3:15 AM

Hi Vshamanovsky,

I had this issue before and i solved by:

1- Make sure to configure the alternative map from the Central administration of sharepoint.

2- Go to IIS and modify the header of the web application,  in my case i have two headers first one is the name of the server, and the second one is the FQN (e.g, portalname.companyname.com )

Regards.