Suggestion - Prompted / Scripted Creation of Input.xml

May 31, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Hi all,

I perform SharePoint installations for lots of different customers, who all want things configuring in slightly different ways; naming conventions on service accounts being a good example.

In this scenario it would be really cool if the values in AutoSPInstallerInput.xml could be populated either interactively from prompts, or from a text or CSV file prepared during an installation planning session with the client. The customised XML would then be used to drive the SP installation and form part of the handover documentation.

Would anyone else find this useful?

Cheers,

S.

Coordinator
Jun 17, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Yup that would be the holy grail of this project - a guided, GUI-based form or process that would populate the AutoSPInstallerInput.XML... are you volunteering :)

Brian

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Would love to help out if I had the skills, but unfortunately I can't tell a variable from a function :(

But I remain an enthusiastic supporter!

Cheers,

S.

Jun 17, 2011 at 7:26 PM

I'm on it!

Jokes aside - I'll look into it - some form of GUI that renders the the XML file a bit prettier - automation from csv in version 2 :-)

Cheers

/Jesper

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:09 AM
Edited Jun 20, 2011 at 12:54 AM

I have created a custom function to do this already by using a special version of the same xml file - see other post in discussions.

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Hey,

hope this is what you wanted: http://autospinstallergui.codeplex.com

Let me know if you have any suggestions!

Ivan