High Availability Support

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Hi Brian, within my environment I need to ensure high availability across 2 application servers.

I've noticed that within the InstallerFunctions script, the function CreateMetadataServiceApp appears to cater for this. i.e. if provision is set to true it will start the Microsoft.SharePoint.Taxonomy.MetadataWebServiceInstance instance. However, in the CreateWebAnalyticsApp method, it just checks to see if it has been configured in the farm, and if it has, it does nothing (i.e. it doesn't start the service on the current App Server).  Was this deliberate or what this an oversight? I can see that I can turn the service on manually through Central Admin after the scripts have run.

Coordinator
Apr 7, 2011 at 1:53 AM

Wow - I literally just fixed this behavior just today, based on experience with a client install with the same requirements. I moved the code that starts the service instance outside of the block that checks if the service app is already created. Most other service apps were already set up this way. So yes it was an oversight, and will be fixed in the next release.

Cheers

Brian

Apr 7, 2011 at 5:56 AM

Hi Brian,

If you are making a change, I would probably suggest that you change the 'ConfigureTracing' method to call a 'Get-traceserviceaccountxml' function instead of a 'Get-serviceaccountxml' method. That way a dedicated Trace account can be used. In my case, the 'Get-traceserviceaccountxml' looked as follows:

Function Get-traceserviceaccountxml([xml]$xmlinput)
{
    $traceservice = $xmlinput.Configuration.Farm.ManagedAccounts.ManagedAccount | Where-Object { $_.CommonName -match "SPTraceV4" }
    return $traceservice
}

Regards,

Alan.