Installation gets stuck in "Waiting for central admin site"

Mar 31, 2011 at 8:33 PM

what may be the cause of this?

Coordinator
Apr 1, 2011 at 4:15 AM

Have never run into this problem before (or heard of anyone else having it yet)... Next time this happens, can you check if you can actually browse the central admin site while the script is stuck?

Brian

Apr 1, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Yes , I can browse the central admin site while the script is stuck.

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:42 AM

I had this problem too... Took a little bit of backtracking through the code, but found out what it was. Not sure if this will fix the problem for everyone, but it certainly fixed my problem:

Solution

In the AutoSPInstallerInput.xml file, look for the <Port> tags for the CentralAdmin section. If you are using port 80, remove that and just leave the tags blank (ie: <Port></Port>).

Reason

This problem happens because the code:
$CentralAdmin = Get-SPWebApplication -IncludeCentralAdministration | ? {$_.Url -like "http://$($env:COMPUTERNAME):$CentralAdminPort*"}
While ($CentralAdmin.Status -ne "Online")  

Is trying to match the URL from the object ($_.Url) to a url that has the port number on the end of it. If you are running on port 80, the port number will not be on the URL in the object and therefore will never match which means that the object will never return "Online" and thus creating a never ending loop. I'm not sure if this changes if the port is not the default port 80, maybe then the object will show the port and thus the script may work in that case. I also don't know if it is documented anywhere that if central admin is running on port 80 to leave the config file blank.

The object referred to is:
Get-SPWebApplication -IncludeCentralAdministration

If you run the above and pipe it to select * (ie Get-SPWebApplication -IncludeCentralAdministration | select *) it will show the contents of the object and you can check if your URL section has the port on the end or not.

Hope this helps.

Coordinator
Dec 17, 2011 at 6:20 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.