error in languagepack installation procedure

Mar 8, 2011 at 8:40 AM

Hey!

I'm having some strange strange problems with the installation.
Running the latest AutoSPInstaller script and Sharepoint Server 2010 + FEB CU

When the script comes to the "Configuring Languagepacks" point, and tries to run: psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace v2v -passphrase `"$FarmPassphrase`" -wait -force
it NEVER comes thrue, always crashing at step 3 of 4 

The logs gives these error:

03/08/2011 06:56:08.27  psconfig.exe (0x1D9C)                    0x0AF8 SharePoint Foundation          Topology                       8xqz Medium   Updating SPPersistedObject SPUpgradeSession Name=Upgrade-20110308-065544-262. Version: 5087 Ensure: False, HashCode: 45653674, Id: 247513a8-151b-4b2b-890b-bbfc4aa89314, Stack:    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPPersistedObject.BaseUpdate()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPUpgradeSession.Update()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPUpgradeSession.CommitToFarm(SPManager manager, SPFarm farm)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPManager.BootStrap(Guid sessionId, SPUpgradeOperationFlags flags)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.UpgradeBootstrapTask.Run()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()     at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)     at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCode... 
03/08/2011 06:56:08.27* psconfig.exe (0x1D9C)                    0x0AF8 SharePoint Foundation          Topology                       8xqz Medium   ...WithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)     at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)     at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()   
03/08/2011 06:56:08.35  psconfig.exe (0x1D9C)                    0x0ED4 SharePoint Foundation          Topology                       8xqz Medium   Updating SPPersistedObject SPUpgradeSession Name=Upgrade-20110308-065544-262. Version: 5087 Ensure: False, HashCode: 21296749, Id: 247513a8-151b-4b2b-890b-bbfc4aa89314, Stack:    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPPersistedObject.BaseUpdate()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPUpgradeSession.Update()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPUpgradeSession.ContinueOnLocalThread(Guid id, Boolean consoleOutput)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPManager.ContinueSessionOnLocalThread(Guid id, Boolean consoleOutput)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.UpgradeTask.Run()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()     at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)     at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.Execute... 
03/08/2011 06:56:08.35* psconfig.exe (0x1D9C)                    0x0ED4 SharePoint Foundation          Topology                       8xqz Medium   ...CodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)     at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)     at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()   
03/08/2011 06:56:08.36  psconfig.exe (0x1D9C)                    0x0ED4 SharePoint Foundation          Topology                       75bd High     UpdatedConcurrencyException: The object SPUpgradeSession Name=Upgrade-20110308-065544-262 was updated by another user.  Determine if these changes will conflict, resolve any differences, and reapply the second change.  This error may also indicate a programming error caused by obtaining two copies of the same object in a single thread. Previous update information: User: XXX\XXX-sp2010-inst-srv Process:PSCONFIG (7580) Machine:0XXXXXXXXX05 Time:March 08, 2011 06:56:08.0000  Current update information: User: XXX\XXX-sp2010-inst-srv Process:PSCONFIG (7580) Machine:0XXXXXXXXX05 Time:March 08, 2011 06:56:08.3534   
03/08/2011 06:56:08.36  psconfig.exe (0x1D9C)                    0x0ED4 SharePoint Foundation          Topology                       8xqy High     ConcurrencyException: Old Version : 5087 New Version : 5089 
03/08/2011 06:56:08.38  psconfig.exe (0x1D9C)                    0x0ED4 SharePoint Foundation          Topology                       5aug Medium   Releasing a server lock by name 
03/08/2011 06:56:08.38  psconfig.exe (0x1D9C)                    0x0ED4 SharePoint Foundation          Topology                       5auh Medium   Successfully released a server lock. type = [Upgrade], server=[0XXXXXXXXX05], object=[] 
03/08/2011 06:56:08.40  psconfig.exe (0x1D9C)                    0x1D90 SharePoint Foundation          Performance                    nask Monitorable An SPRequest object was reclaimed by the garbage collector instead of being explicitly freed.  To avoid wasting system resources, dispose of this object or its parent (such as an SPSite or SPWeb) as soon as you are done using it.  Allocation Id: {8F53DC1B-857D-4B71-9F42-BA4F88DC5458}  To determine where this object was allocated, set Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebService.ContentService.CollectSPRequestAllocationCallStacks = true. 
03/08/2011 06:56:08.54  psconfig.exe (0x1D9C)                    0x1D90 SharePoint Server              Unified Logging Service        8wsw High     Now terminating ULS (psconfig.exe, Microsoft.Office.Server.Native.dll) 
03/08/2011 06:56:08.54  psconfig.exe (0x1D9C)                    0x1D90 SharePoint Foundation          Unified Logging Service        8wsw High     Now terminating ULS (psconfig.exe, onetnative.dll) 

I have been digging around for answers to this, and what have come up, is I think the way the languagepack is installed in the script is wrong.

Se this:  http://blogs.technet.com/b/patrick_heyde/archive/2010/05/31/sharepoint-2010-language-pack-how-to-install-amp-be-aware-of-their-limits.aspx

I says: Installing Office SharePoint server 2010 with language pack requires: WSSv4 language pack and Office Server 2010 Language Pack

Thats two different languagepacks, and it goes on to say that these needs to be installed BEFORE you install Sharepoint binaries
Also, you need to have the Operatingsystem languagepack installed prior to installing the SP bits (ref: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262108.aspx).

So, the correct order must be:

1) Operatingsystem Languagepack (MUI)
2) WSSv4 LanguagePack
3) Sharepoint Server 2010 LanguagePack
4) Sharepoint Binaries and updates
5) Other stuff

I don't know for sure if this is the root cause for my problem, but there is something broken in the way the languagepacks are installed in the script at the moment.

Anybody else experienced this?

Thanks

Regards
Jesper Nygaard Schioett
Danish Defence IT Agency

Coordinator
Mar 8, 2011 at 2:22 PM

So I just read through the technet article, and decided to test the statement about installing SP language packs before SP binaries - guess what? Big failure, stating the obvious to the effect that "you must have the SP binaries installed before installing the language pack" - which makes total sense :)

Also, many/most language packs are already pre-installed with the OS; the technet article states which ones must be explicitly installed.

Finally, as mentioned in the comments for the post, the technet article does explicitly state that "SharePoint Foundation 2010 language packs are not required for SharePoint server 2010"... at this point it seems it's Patrick's word against technet's - I would be looking for a 3rd party to confirm/deny the need for Foundation Language packs (let me know if you find anything too).

At the very least, there is confusion around language packs. I have tried to incorporate the best advice I've found out there. I have also experienced a similar issue to yours, but usually only upon running the script subsequent times - not sure why.

Brian

Mar 8, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Yeaa - just fingured that out this evening... (makes sence)

Damn, was hoping that was the reason!

Tried the Foundation pack and then Server but that throws the same error, so I'm left with uhmm - nothing :-)

Think we might open a support case with Microsoft to see if we can figure out what is going on here

ohh - and we tried installing with another CU - same error, so it has nothing to do with the FEB CU...

/Jesper

Mar 28, 2011 at 2:41 PM

I just ran into this error as well, running AutoSPInstaller (2011-03-15) and trying to install 4 language packs. It's a fast machine with 16 cores and 16 GB RAM and a high-end SAN.

Until it's solved I'll install the language packs manually afterwards. That's simple enough.

Is there anything I can do to help? I haven't had issues with language packs before, but this is the first time I'm trying to install 4 at a time.

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:33 AM

I got the error as and couldn't get the upgrade to start either and after some serious googling for "The object SPUpgradeSession ... was updated by another user" I found the following article

http://underthehood.ironworks.com/2010/07/error-message-when-you-try-to-start-user-profile-synchronization-in-sharepoint-2010-an-update-confli.html

This points to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939308

This fixed my problem, perhaps a check could be built in for this?

Coordinator
Apr 21, 2011 at 2:31 AM

Question for everyone - on servers where you are experiencing this problem - is the .NET Framework 4 installed? I just ran into the issue on a fairly powerful production server, then I ran into subsequent issues, and upon investigating I found that it had .NET 4.0 installed. Finally gave up and ran PSConfigUI (wizard) which completed with no errors.

For comparison, I tested AutoSPInstaller in parallel on a much slower VM, and it configured the language pack on the very first try, no errors. It did not have .NET 4.0 installed. Curious to see if this might be a common scenario.

Brian

Apr 29, 2011 at 9:09 AM

I have a powerful 2008 R2 without .Net 4 and it has this problem.

Arne

Coordinator
May 7, 2011 at 1:16 PM

I went through another client install this week and got this issue on all 3 environments - including Production with VERY powerful servers. Clearly not a performance issue. The one thing these environments had in common was the lack of outbound Internet access. Can anybody comment on whether this was the case in your environments?

I got so fed up with the constant 'conflict occurred' error that I modified the script to just pop open the PSConfigUI wizard after the first PSConfig failure - since for some reason, the wizard always completes successfully where the command-line fails.

Brian

May 8, 2011 at 9:23 AM

And I am sorry to say that my servers have outbound internet access.

Jun 28, 2011 at 4:59 PM

I have the problem with .NET 3.5.1 not 4.0