Multi-server farm install

Nov 2, 2010 at 3:21 AM

Hi All,

First I'll start by saying that this script clearly has a lot of potential and it certainly is a no brainer to use this for a single server install.   I decided to give the script a try to create a multi-server farm (16 boxes) and I ran into a number of issues.   Based on what I can find these items are not supported in the current iteration so I'm effectivley submiting them as feature requests.  If I've missed something and this is possible I'd be very interested to know! 

• Ability to choose between enterprise and standard install
  • Ability to specify the license key
  • Ability to opt out of creating a portal site (I'd like to create a MySite host only)
  • Ability to clearly define server roles (App server, search crawl, search wfe, regular wfe, CA) and install accordingly
  • The slipstream process is kind of a pain to manually download all the hotfixes and CU.   Would be nice if the script could take care of this for me.
  • Ability to specify the SQL access account seperate from the service account and install account

Thanks

-JV

Nov 2, 2010 at 3:41 AM

I found I can specify the license key via the config.xml file.   The remaining points still stand however.

Nov 2, 2010 at 4:08 PM

I'm using this too. I've been looking at the slipstream process today, and the script would have to be pretty impressive to do this for us. The CUs aren't really cumulative; they're basically a bunch of individual hotfixes. Each hotfix seems to require you visit the "hotfix request" page (you can get at those from here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/ff800847.aspx) , give it an email address, and get sent back a link to the download. The hotfix files themselves are password encoded, self-extracting zip files. The password is in the email they send you for each file, and their passwords expire. So they give you two passwords per file, in case you don't download it in time. Also I'm not sure there's a command-line for the zip files to specify the password, in which case the script would have to key the values into the zip-extractor UI somehow.

I think the hotfix process for SharePoint could use changing, and I'm not sure how this script could automate it in its current guise.

Coordinator
Nov 3, 2010 at 12:58 AM

@ jvallery re: "Ability to choose between enterprise and standard install" - this is also controlled in the config.xml via the line:

<Setting Id="OFFICESERVERPREMIUM" Value="1" /> (set it to 0 for Standard)

Check this link for more help with config.xml: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc261668.aspx

Also @joely put it nicely - I would love to have automated the slipstreaming process but Microsoft has made it extremely difficult (if not impossible) for an automated process to download and extract the SharePoint hotfixes. Other than hosting the extracted files on a 3rd party server (probably a violation of some license agreement), it seems pretty unfeasible at this point.

Brian