Portal URL

Oct 7, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Greetings everyone,

This script is truely awesome. Everything works fine except when creating the main portal site. Once the script completes, and IE opens up and nothing displays.

I have a feeling I didnt set up my PortalURL correctly in the XML file.

Also is there any advice for setting up web front ends using this script?

Thanks,

Rondawg 

Coordinator
Oct 12, 2010 at 2:06 AM

I would recommend a different SetInputs-COMPUTERNAME.xml for each server in the farm. The first server you install would be used to create the Portal, My Sites, Central Admin, etc. and then the subsequent servers, depending on your farm topology, would likely have much less to do (maybe some of the Service Apps that weren't designated for the first server), or maybe just the binaries and configured to join the existing farm and not much else. Again it all depends on your desired farm topology and remember to use a different input file on each server.

Hope this helps,

Brian

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:15 AM

Brian,

Yes I have different setup XML files for each server. I tried to just install Central Admin and most of the services listed in the xml to the first server. I left the portal URL and mysite URL blank since I want it to run on another server. When i ran the script to create the portal and mysite, only the portal got created.

The only way I was able to get this to work correctly is by installing everything on the first server (Central Admin, Portal, Mysite, Search). I think some example .xml files could be super helpful for each server role. Perhaps one example xml file for Application Server, one for the Web Front End, Search, etc.

Coordinator
Nov 24, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Don't worry about the Portal and MySite being created on your first server. DNS etc. will determine which server users actually hit, so it's OK (maybe even desirable) to have all sites run on all servers IMO. By the way I've made some big improvements to multi-server farm scenarios, you should check out the latest download package. The concept remains of having almost identical XML input files for each server, there are so many combinations that I would prefer to configure services etc. afterwards by hand anyhow.

Brian