Multi Server Install

Sep 24, 2010 at 8:15 PM

First off, I LOVE this SCRIPT!

I have been working on a Multi server install and have run into a few issues.

I like the flags at the top but there is not one for the Portal site.  If you run the same script on a secondary server it creates the site gain.  I am trying to create a Web Front End and an Application server.

Also, I would love to have the UserProfileApplication on the Application server and not the WFE server.  Currently, the way the script is set up it is either all or nothing.  Either the Mysite and UserProfileApplication are on the WFE or they are not installed at all.

Rick

Coordinator
Oct 5, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Hi there and sorry for the delay. You bring up some very good points which I hadn't thought of before. Let me have a look and will attempt to incorporate some changes into the next release that will better handle multi-server installs.

Cheers

Brian

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Thanks Brian,

I am getting ready to do some multi server installs.  Let me know if you need for me to do any testing.

Rick

Coordinator
Oct 12, 2010 at 3:21 AM

Re: running the script on a secondary server creates the Portal site again - this shouldn't happen as the script does check to see if a web app matching the name of the Portal sites exist, and only if it doesn't does it actually go ahead with the Portal site creation. Are you ending up with two different Portal sites, or does it just re-create the existing one?

Oct 12, 2010 at 6:18 PM

I noticed this when running the script, through the status window. I have not validated that it was actually recreating the site.

Oct 27, 2010 at 6:41 PM

anyone have some good information to go by for the multi-server install? i'm currently working on a multi-server install myself and would love to use this (autospinstaller). maybe even add more comments to setinputs.xml to indicate this section is for a web server, search, etc. will collaborate with someone or even test some things out.... just let me know!

eric

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Eric,

Have you come up with multi-server farm installation yet? I am having the same situation as you have. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Peter,

Not yet. Although I think I'm close. I have separate XML files for each of my servers. I was waiting to see if there were any updates to reported issues with multi-farm installations with these scripts.

Nov 15, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Hi,

I installed a farm of 3 SharePoint Servers last week using autoSPInstaller. It worked great. Nevertheless, some manual configuration are needed after.

Best regards,

Pierre Vivier-Merle

Nov 17, 2010 at 9:33 AM
pierrevm wrote:

Hi,

I installed a farm of 3 SharePoint Servers last week using autoSPInstaller. It worked great. Nevertheless, some manual configuration are needed after.

Best regards,

Pierre Vivier-Merle

Out of interest Pierrevm, what manual configuration steps did you find were required?

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:41 PM

@Pierre - I'd also be interested to see what configuration steps were used and what account you ran the script as e.g. Admin or Farm. I have a call open with MS at the moment as I have run into an issue following least privildged accounts see here http://www.paulgrimley.com/2010/11/side-effects-of-attaching-additional.html

Nov 25, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Hi PT_UK

A list of additional manual configuration (miss some of them):

1. creating quota templates
  2. configuring outgoing email
  3. creating other web apps
  4. configuring web apps regarding quota, etc
  5. enabling BLOB cache
  6. configuring user policies
  7. people picker configuration with cross forests
  8. creating site collections
  9. creating additional content dbs
  10. creating "Access SA"
  11. creating "BDC SA"
  12. configuring "Session State Service"
  13. configuring "Powerpoing SA" 
  14. configuring "Usage and Health data collection SA"
  15. configuring additional parameters for "Search SA"
  16. configuring "Visio Graphics SA"
  17. configuring profile synchronization
  18. configuring NLB

Some stuff to do so :-)

Pierre Vivier-Merle

Nov 25, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Hi Paul,

I run the script with a farm admin who is also local admin of sharepoint servers. After, I can remove from the local admin group.

I didn't report your kind of issue but, in my case, the query and crawl is only on one server, meaning the application server.

Thank you to keep us update with your issue

Pierre Vivier-Merle

Dec 2, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Hi Pierre

A fair old bit of PowerShell required to do that! Re point 17 I don't think there is a PowerShell cmdlet to configure a sync which was a surprise. I'm sure someone will create a custom cmdlet to do this (if there is not one out ther already).

As regards installing as a farm account I'm sure you know this isn't best practice - even for a dev environment.

Heard nothing regarding the PowerShell issue re connecting servers to a farm but will keep the community posted when I do.

Paul

Dec 9, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Paul,

I ran into the same problem you had.  Mostly what I experienced is the second server (I plan to use as an app server) would technically join the farm, but service applications would not install and services would not start.  My solution was to use PSCONFIG inside the AutoSPInstaller script instead (for additional servers beyond first only).  If you're interested I can post it.  I just downloaded the latest release that looks to fix some of the mult-server issues, so I'm trying that in a semi-vanilla fashion first to see if it works.

Generally the first server works great, but second servers are a real hassle.  Everything from having the "service" variables now arrays of objects instead of single instances keeps the script from being able to identify if a service successfully started, to trying to abstract out functionality so I can selectively disable services on one machine and enable on another, regardless of which server created the associated serivce application.  I've made a lot of progress, including enabling a bunch of additional services (many in Pierre's list above).

My situation is a little more difficult, I'm trying to script as much as possible because I have write qualification documents as part of a test and production farm install for Pharma / FDA, so the more I can script the easier the documentation is. 

-Ryan Thomas

Dec 10, 2010 at 6:55 AM

Hi Ryan,

I'm in kinda the same situation as you, wanting to script everything because of documentation "issues" :-)
If you have come up with some additions for the script, please share (if you are allowed) - that way we can create the best autospinstaller script ever!

We are doing multiserver install, and with the latest version of the script + some enhancments (most written in another discussion) - the script works fine for a 4 server FARM install.
Only two points are missing, and that is the User Profile stuff we don't install (are having some wired access denied errors) and search (we may be using FAST plus we are seing errors there to - better to document a "hand" job instead for that)

Regards
Jesper

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Ok, I'll try to post the scipts in some posts below...

FYI, in order to get some of these to work I had to re-add the snapin or certain cmdlets would not be recognized...

I also have not thoroughly tested this, and amd still getting errors in my virtual environment depending on configuration settings.  It doesn't seem to work correctly when trying install service applications and services on multiple servers.

-Ryan

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:45 PM

#Region

Function

{

{

Write-Host -ForegroundColor White

New-SPBusinessDataCatalogServiceApplication -Name

$BusinesConnectivityApplicationServiceName -ApplicationPool "SharePoint Hosted Services" -DatabaseServer $DBServer -DatabaseName "BusinessDataConnectivityDB" > $null

where-object {$_.TypeName -eq "Business Data Connectivity Service"} | Start-SPServiceInstance > $null

catch

{

Write-Output

}

}

If

($CreateBusinesConnectivityService -eq "1"

#EndRegion

#Region

Function

{

{

Get-SPServiceInstance |

where-object {$_.TypeName -eq "Claims to Windows Token Service"} | Start-SPServiceInstance > $null

catch

{

Write-Output

}

}

If

($CreateClaimsToWindowsTokenService -eq "1"

#EndRegion

) {CreateClaimsToWindowsTokenService}

$_

}

"Creating Claims to Windows Token Service..."

try

CreateClaimsToWindowsTokenService

CreateClaimsToWindowsTokenService

) {CreateBusinesConnectivityService}

$_

}

Get-SPServiceInstance |

"Creating BCS Service and Proxy..."

try

CreateBusinesConnectivityService

CreateBusinesConnectivityService

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:46 PM

#Region

Function

{

{

Get-SPServiceInstance |

where-object {$_.TypeName -eq "Document Conversions Launcher Service"} | Start-SPServiceInstance > $null

catch

{

Write-Output

}

}

If

($CreateDocumentConversionsLauncherService -eq "1"

#EndRegion

#Region

Function

{

{

Get-SPServiceInstance |

where-object {$_.TypeName -eq "Document Conversions Load Balancer Service"} | Start-SPServiceInstance > $null

catch

{

Write-Output

}

}

If

($CreateDocumentConversionsLoadBalancerService -eq "1"

#EndRegion

) {CreateDocumentConversionsLoadBalancerService}

$_

}

"Starting Document Conversions Load Balanacer Service..."

try

CreateDocumentConversionsLoadBalancerService

CreateDocumentConversionsLoadBalancerService

) {CreateDocumentConversionsLauncherService}

$_

}

"Starting Document Conversions Launcher Service..."

try

CreateDocumentConversionsLauncherService

CreateDocumentConversionsLauncherService

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:49 PM

#Region

Function

{

{

New-SPPerformancePointServiceApplication -Name

$PerformancePointApplicationServiceName -ApplicationPool "SharePoint Hosted Services" > $null

"$PerformancePointApplicationServiceName Proxy" -ServiceApplication $PerformancePointApplicationServiceName > $null

where-object {$_.TypeName -eq "PerformancePoint Service"} | Start-SPServiceInstance > $null

catch

{

Write-Output

}

}

If

($CreatePerformancePointService -eq "1"

#EndRegion

) {CreatePerformancePointService}

$_

}

Get-SPServiceInstance |

New-SPPerformancePointServiceApplicationProxy -Default -Name

"Creating Performance Point Services"

try

CreatePerformancePointService

CreatePerformancePointService

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:51 PM

#Region CreateWordAutomation
Function CreateWordAutomation
{
 try
 {
 Write-Host -ForegroundColor White "Creating Word Automation Service and Proxy..."
 New-SPWordConversionServiceApplication -Name $WordAutomationApplicationServiceName -ApplicationPool "SharePoint Hosted Services" -DatabaseServer $DBServer -DatabaseName "WordAutomationDB" -Default > $null 
 Get-SPServiceInstance | where-object {$_.TypeName -eq "Word Automation Services"} | Start-SPServiceInstance > $null
 }
catch
 {
  Write-Output $_
 }
}
If ($CreateWordAutomationService -eq "1") {CreateWordAutomation}
#EndRegion

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Write-Host -ForegroundColor White " - ReAdding SharePoint Snap-In..."
Remove-PSSnapin Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell
$PSSnapin = Add-PsSnapin Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell

#Region CreateAccessDatabaseService
Function CreateAccessDatabaseService
{
 try
 {
 Write-Host -ForegroundColor White "Creating Access Services and Proxy..."  
 New-SPAccessServiceApplication -Name $AccessDatabaseApplicationServiceName -ApplicationPool "SharePoint Hosted Services" > $null
 Get-SPServiceInstance | where-object {$_.TypeName -eq "Access Database Service"} | Start-SPServiceInstance > $null 
 }
catch
 {
  Write-Output $_
 }
}
If ($CreateAccessDatabaseService -eq "1") {CreateAccessDatabaseService}
#EndRegion

#Region CreateExcelService
Function CreateExcelService
{
 try
 {
 Write-Host -ForegroundColor White "Creating Excel Services"
 New-SPExcelServiceApplication -name $ExcelApplicationServiceName –ApplicationPool "SharePoint Hosted Services" > $null 
 Set-SPExcelFileLocation -Identity "http://" -ExcelServiceApplication $ExcelApplicationServiceName -ExternalDataAllowed 2 -WorkbookSizeMax 10 
 Get-SPServiceInstance | where-object {$_.TypeName -eq "Excel Calculation Services"} | Start-SPServiceInstance > $null 
 }
catch
 {
  Write-Output $_
 }
}
If ($CreateExcelService -eq "1") {CreateExcelService}
#EndRegion

#Region CreateVisioService
Function CreateVisioService
{
 try
 {
 Write-Host -ForegroundColor White "Creating Visio Services"
 New-SPVisioServiceApplication -Name $VisioServiceApplicationServiceName -ApplicationPool "SharePoint Hosted Services" > $null 
 New-SPVisioServiceApplicationProxy -Name "$VisioServiceApplicationServiceName Proxy" -ServiceApplication $VisioServiceApplicationServiceName > $null 
 Get-SPServiceInstance | where-object {$_.TypeName -eq "Visio Graphics Service"} | Start-SPServiceInstance > $null 
 }
catch
 {
  Write-Output $_
 }
}
If ($CreateVisioService -eq "1") {CreateVisioService}
#EndRegion

#Region SetupOutGoingEmail
Function SetupOutGoingEmail
{
 try
 {
  Write-Host -ForegroundColor White " - Setting up Outgoing Email"
  $loadasm = [System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("Microsoft.SharePoint")
  $SPGlobalAdmin =  New-Object Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPGlobalAdmin
  $SPGlobalAdmin.UpdateMailSettings( $OutGoingEmailServer, $OutGoingEmailAddress, $OutGoingEmailReplyToAddress, 65001)
 }
catch
 {
  Write-Output $_
 }
}
If ($SetupOutgoingEmail -eq "1") {SetupOutGoingEmail}
#EndRegion

#Region Enabling / Disabling Services

#Region MetaData Services
If($StartMetadataService -eq "0")
 {
  Write-Host -ForegroundColor White " - Stopping Metadata Service Instance..."
  $MetadataServiceInstance = Get-SPServiceInstance | ? {$_.GetType().ToString() -eq "Microsoft.SharePoint.Taxonomy.MetadataWebServiceInstance"}
  $MetadataServiceInstance | Stop-SPServiceInstance | Out-Null
        If (-not $?) { throw "- Failed to stop Metadata service instance" }

Write-Host -ForegroundColor Blue " - Waiting for Metadata service to stop" -NoNewline
  While ($MetadataServiceInstance.Status -ne "Disabled")
  {
   Write-Host -ForegroundColor Blue "." -NoNewline
   sleep 1
   $MetadataServiceInstance = Get-SPServiceInstance | ? {$_.GetType().ToString() -eq "Microsoft.SharePoint.Taxonomy.MetadataWebServiceInstance"}
  }
  Write-Host -BackgroundColor Blue -ForegroundColor Red "Stopped!"
 }
 If($StartMetadataService -eq "1")
 {
  # Only start the service if this script did not create the associate the associated service application
  If ($CreateMetadataServiceApp -eq "0")
  {
  Write-Host -ForegroundColor White " - Starting Metadata Service Instance..."
        $MetadataServiceInstance | Start-SPServiceInstance | Out-Null
         If (-not $?) { throw "- Failed to start Metadata service instance" }

Write-Host -ForegroundColor Blue " - Waiting for Metadata service to start" -NoNewline
  While ($MetadataServiceInstance.Status -ne "Online")
  {
   sleep 1
  }
  Write-Host -BackgroundColor Blue -ForegroundColor Black "Started!"
  }
 }
 #EndRegion

#Region Profile Services 
 If($StartUserProfileService -eq "0")
 {
 ## get the service instance
            $ProfileServiceInstance = Get-SPServiceInstance | ? {$_.GetType().ToString() -eq "Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileServiceInstance"}
            If (-not $?) { throw " - Failed to find User Profile Service instance" }

## Stop Service instance
   Write-Host -ForegroundColor White " - Stopping User Profile Service instance..."
            If (($ProfileServiceInstance.Status -ne "Disabled") -or ($ProfileServiceInstance.Status -eq "Online"))
   { 
                $ProfileServiceInstance | Stop-SPServiceInstance | Out-Null
                If (-not $?) { throw " - Failed to stop User Profile Service instance" }

## Wait
       Write-Host -ForegroundColor Blue " - Waiting for User Profile Service to stop" -NoNewline
       While ($ProfileServiceInstance.Status -ne "Disabled")
       {
     sleep 1
        $ProfileServiceInstance = Get-SPServiceInstance | ? {$_.GetType().ToString() -eq "Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileServiceInstance"}
       }
    Write-Host -BackgroundColor Blue -ForegroundColor Red "Stopped!"
            }
 }
 If($StartUserProfileService -eq "1")
 {
  If ($CreateUserProfileApp -eq "0")
  {
  ## get the service instance
            If (-not $?) { throw " - Failed to find User Profile Service instance" }

## Start Service instance
   Write-Host -ForegroundColor White " - Starting User Profile Service instance..."
            If (($ProfileServiceInstance.Status -eq "Disabled") -or ($ProfileServiceInstance.Status -ne "Online"))
   { 
                $ProfileServiceInstance | Start-SPServiceInstance | Out-Null
                If (-not $?) { throw " - Failed to start User Profile Service instance" }

## Wait
    <#
       Write-Host -ForegroundColor Blue " - Waiting for User Profile Service to start" -NoNewline
       While ($ProfileServiceInstance[0].Status -ne "Online")
       {
     sleep 1
       }
    Write-Host -BackgroundColor Blue -ForegroundColor Black "Started!"
    #>
            }
  }
 }
 #EndRegion

#EndRegion

Dec 17, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Hi Ryan

Great work and contribution with the additional PowerShell scripts

On my original post to the discussion I've just had confirmation from MS they are creating a hotfix for this, not sure on timescales yet though.

Thanks

Paul

@paulgrimley

Dec 21, 2010 at 9:22 PM

The one thing that makes me nervous is that there seems to be a legitimate lack of consistency each time I run the script.

I get everyone from Sandbox service hanging up to not recognizing my Farm / App Pool service account passwords, to weird hiccups with querying/finding the DB server.  These are often items I can figure out and fix, sometimes a reboot does the trick.  The whole point of this is to make a repeatable and consistent process and so far I'm unable to classify this as "solid".

This is not the fault of the great people working on the script, I want to be clear on that.  It seems like the OOB PowerShell cmdlets are flaky and error-prone, plus all the variables going into a multi-server farm install creates a TON of opportunity for error.

Microsoft tried to make the install look easy with the PSConfig "Gray wizard", plus the new central admin config wizard, but if you look at what those things do under the covers I'm surprised it even works 50% of the time  :)

I'm working on a pretty large qualified environment installation so I've probably installed SP 2010 (multi-server) at least 100 times using a variation on these scripts and I'm starting to abandon certain aspects of it, choosing to manually configure (and therefore specifically document) certain steps.  The main ones right now are Search and User Profiles.  It seems like the rest of the items, including those I pasted above have started to gain some stability after lots of trial and error, and layering additional elements  (multiple accounts, multuple servers, services, web apps with host names, etc)

Just my $.02 right now.

-Ryan

Dec 21, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Oh I forgot...Paul, this is for you.  The latest version of the script does in fact look like it works with multi-server.  If you still can't get it to work let me know.  I had another script working where you pass in a server index and if it's greater than 0 (not the first machine) it uses PSCONFIG to join the additional server to the farm.  This worked pretty slick, I'd be happy to share it if you still need it.

-Ryan

Coordinator
Feb 22, 2011 at 3:43 AM

Hey all, I apologize for neglecting this thread completely for the past few months, but I'm finally catching up and hope to incorporate much of these excellent suggestions/functions very soon (with appropriate credit of course). First thing on the agenda is configuring outbound email, then probably the BCS function. Thanks for your input & feedback as usual!

Cheers

Brian

Mar 8, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Hi,

Great scripts, very handy.....

I have been able to run the auto installer successfully on separate single servers. Currently i'm trying to spread my farm installation across various servers and was wondering if this would be possible by making changes to the xml files or by some other way.

Also, why are there these 2 batch files:

• AutoSPInstallerLaunch.bat
  • Launch.bat

Regards,

Aj

Mar 8, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Hello,

I agree, this is an excellent script.

I have a question.  The SharePoint environment I am working on here has two SQL Servers as part of it.  We are putting the config database on one SQL server and the content databases on the second SQL server.  It looks to me like the script is designed to put all databases on a single SQL server.  Is this correct or am I missing something?

Again, thank you everyone for your hard work on this script.

Sam

Coordinator
Mar 8, 2011 at 9:44 PM

@sktocco, yes the script currently only handles a single SQL back end (well actually you could specify a different one for Enterprise Search, but that wasn't really intentional). I haven't run into any scenarios where separate SQL instances were needed for config DBs versus content, so I never worked it into the script. However, it should't be too difficult for you to rig the script to do what you want in terms of separate SQL instances.

Brian

Coordinator
Mar 8, 2011 at 9:48 PM

@Sharepointnewbie4, I am planning to release documentation/blog post soon to describe multi-server scenarios and how to configure your XML input files. Also, the "Launch.bat" is left over from version 1.0 - not required for v2 so you can safely get rid of it.

Brian

Mar 9, 2011 at 10:34 PM
Edited Mar 9, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Yes this would be great.  I have a 10 and 5 server farm I am setting up soon and am looking at leveraging these scripts.  Your blog post is greatly anticipated.

Mar 10, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Cool, will be on the look out.

AJ

Mar 10, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Hi All

Just to add I've had a response from MS on the PowerShell / Multi-farm issue. When i get chance i'll update everyone.

Cheers

Paul

Mar 23, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Hi All,

I have now managed to test the workaround provided by Microsoft and confirm it works (and it was trivial).

Basically after following the TechNet guide on how to add additional servers to the farm you need to start the 'SharePoint 2010 Timer' windows service manually. Once you do so you will be able to assign search roles to the new server.

Updated blog entry http://www.paulgrimley.com/2010/11/side-effects-of-attaching-additional.html.

Hope that saves people time!

Paul

Coordinator
Mar 23, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Paul, fantastic follow-up and contribution to the community. I admit that I never never really grasped the original issue, but now after having read through it a few times I think I may have even experienced it myself. Do you happen to have a brief summary of the problem statement though (like what would have been generated from the MS support case)?

In any case, very cool find and I will definitely incorporate any fixes as needed.

Cheers!
Brian

Mar 23, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Brian, happy to help.

Here is the issue definition of the case (remember this was some time ago):

The simple / final PowerShell script for joining the farm is attached and worth noting this is cut from a larger script with parameters passed to it but is pretty much what is suggested in the following link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262839.aspx#section6. This has been run as a script and as individual commands. The problem is not joining the farm itself however seems to be the root cause of a later issue(s). The main problem we have is that if we try and assign search query roles to the server that has joined the farm either by assigning the server roles using PowerShell or via the UI in Central Admin, the re-assignment of roles hangs (Monitoring Job Status in Timer Job Status in Central Admin suggests stuck at 55% consistently (3 attempts)). From numerous hours of testing we identified that if the server is connected to the already created farm via PSConfig we can then successfully re-assign search roles to the new server addition to the farm. We have also further observed that deploying solutions using PowerShell when the new server has joined the farm using PowerShell does not allow for solutions to deploy successfully to the second server and simply hangs in a stage of ‘deploying’. Both PowerShell and PSConfig have been run under the same user account to avoid any inconsistencies with users permissions. Background Latest Windows 2008 R2 Patches August CU’s applied to SharePoint 2010 binaries To conclude it seems as though something is missing from the PowerShell cmdlets that is completed by PSConfig to join the farm.

Cheers

Paul

Coordinator
Mar 23, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Thanks again Paul.

I seem to remember some HA warnings about One or more servers is not responding, on anotherwise perfectly healthy farm - could be because the timer service wasn't running on those newly-added servers.

Also, I wonder if the fact that AutoSPInstaller now actually re-starts the timer service (after removing the Farm Account from the local Admins group) would effectively implement the workaround?

Brian

Mar 23, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Sounds like you fixed it already! all my hard work for nothing :)

Coordinator
Mar 23, 2011 at 5:48 PM

LOL could it really be that simple... anyhow as we speak I'm doing a run-through of a server add-to-farm scenario. And sure enough, after it's been added to the farm using PS, the timer service is set Automatic but not running. Might have to add a line to force-start the service as the last part of adding it to the farm...

Brian