Pre-Requisites check?

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Good job on putting this together!

I noticed that you use the same validation test to check if the SP2010 Pre-Requisites and Bin files have been installed. That test is:

Test-path "$env:CommonProgramFiles\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\BIN\stsadm.exe"

However, if this test is run after the Pre-Requisites have been installed it returns False.

It does return True once the Bin Files have been installed.

Is there any way to check if the Pre-Requisites were successfully installed, that does a valid test?

Thanks,
Jose 

Coordinator
Mar 28, 2010 at 5:19 AM

Yep you're quite correct, the validation for pre-requisites (and even for the bin files) is quite rudimentary. I planned on implementing something better, but since the Prerequisiteinstaller.exe actually has pretty good validation steps built-in (it seems to check for each and every required component/hotfix, based on the log file it outputs), I didn't want to duplicate this and chose to simply let it do its thing. The check for <14 hive>\bin\STSADM.exe is a basic one-step check for SP binaries; their presence should mean pre-requisites are present so let's not bother running Prerequisiteinstaller.exe again. Hope this makes sense...!

Brian

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Hi Brian! I wrote some code that could run a quick valid check to make sure the PreRequisites were installed ok.

It's based on the output from the validation performed by PreRequisitesInstaller.exe.

I posted the code in the following link.... in case you find it useful:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010setup/thread/8e6138c6-f608-40d4-9816-a0eaf60a0a38

Regards,

Jose

Coordinator
Apr 19, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Thanks Jose, will check it out!

Cheers

Brian